A to Z Card Making

It has been long enough. I have decided to post something. I will be making an A to Z card making Tutorial/ explanation. Why because I know what my husband got me for my birthday. A custom die cutting machine. It is amazing! I will post about it later, however, since it is not my birthday yet, it is still neatly in the package, taunting me. SOON! Soon it will taunt me no more. SOON!

My mother’s birthday is the same day as mine so we have to head back to our home town. This makes it difficult to play with it, however, I will be dreaming of it and reading the beautiful instruction manual beginning to end. I will learn so much about her, the most beautiful die cut machine in the world. I already named her, Ziggy. If you didn’t know, I name things, though I am not great at it. My spider plant is named Side Show Bob (or Bob for short) , My all-in-one printer is Jack, and my car is Old Betsy (Formerly known as Betsy).

Just because I don’t have Ziggy yet doesn’t mean I can’t start the A to Z Card Making list. I will attempt one card a week from my list.

Here is my list of cards I plan on using:

  • A2 – This is a standard 4.25″ x 5.5″ when folded card
  • Accordion Card – A card that uses a long sheet of paper and is folded left and right. Sometimes called Concertina.
  • Aperture card – A card that cuts a shape on the front base of a card
  • Book Box Card– a card with pleated interlocking sides to make it look 3D.
  • Box Card – A box made into a card.
  • Braided Card – this is a card you cut slits and fold down the paper to make a pattern in the paper.
  • Building Block Card – This is basically a pop out card and accordion card put together.
  • Cascading Card – This is a card that works like the zig zag card but with a gate fold.
  • Concertina Card– also known as an Accordion card.
  • Exploding Card – Not really a card, it is a box that when you lift the lid pops open
  • Gate Fold Card – A card that opens with two doors
  • Peek-A-Boo Card – A card that has a new image show up when opened
  • Pocket Card – A card with a pocket in it.
  • Slider Card – A card you slide instead of open
  • Shutter Card – A card that when opens opens like a a camera shutter.
  • Waterfall Card – Taking many images and flipping them simultaneously.
  • Z-Fold Card– Is an accordion card but each fold is cut at an angle to make a z shape card.

I put together a list of terms just to have, just in case I use any of the material mentioned so you know what it is:

  • A4 – 8.3″ x 11.7″ is the Standard paper size used outside the  USA. But I am American and we use 8.5″ x 11″
  • Acetate – comes in clear or colored transparent sheets. It comes in a wide variety of sizes, and has a thickness  ranging from .003, to .007. You probably don’t want anything thicker than .007. Because then it makes it difficult to cut. You can get it at an office store like Staples, Dick Blick, or just do an Amazon search for clear acetate. Dura-Lar is the acetate alternative but it cost about the same and works about the same. For colored acetate it will cost more and depending on what color you want with the size you want can be really hard to find or impossible. My suggestion is depending on the project just use the acetate from packaging such as toy packaging. Christmas time you will find a lot for free that friends and family are more than happy to hand you. Plus free boxes too!
  • Adhesive – The material used for boding paper and other material together. It can very from a liquid glue to tape. Make sure for card making to get acid free adhesive. Remember to grab the right glue for the job otherwise your card will turn into a fun puzzle to reassemble or a crinkled mess.
  • Aperture – A shape cut out from the front base.
  • Bleed – For printing it is when the color goes past the margin so it can be cut with the color. In art it is when a dark color seeps through a lighter color.
  • Blender Pen – used to blend colors in a nice subtle way or to clean up bleeding colors.
  • Blending Tool – a foam brush used to blend inks together.
  • Bone Folder – a flat tool  with a round tip used to score and fold paper. Can be made of bone or plastic. How you get the bone is your business.
  • Brads – This a term for paper fasteners, it has split ends that go in the paper and then fold flat to secure the paper in place. Any office store or craft store carries them in a wide selection of sizes and designs. I have no idea why they are called brads.
  • Brayer – A small rubber roller.
  • Burnish – means to rub or smooth. I probably will never use this term but if you do see it in a tutorial were someone says to burnish the paper down, don’t burn it.
  • Cardstock– or CS for short is the a paper usually with a heavy weight, used for card making. weight, size, design, and texture can vary.
  • Chip Board – it is used to make 3D embellishments
  • Core’dinations –  This is a brand of paper. The inside part of the paper is a different color or shade than the outside paper. When you rip or sand down the paper you get two different colors.
  • Craft Foam – also known as fun foam is foam sheets that come in a wide selection of shapes, and sizes and can be used many things including diy stamps.
  • Crimp – Making a thin accordion texture
  • Crop – cutting part of an image off
  • Debossing – This is the opposite of embossing where the image is indented instead of raised up
  • Decoupage – Decorating objects with paper cut-outs.
  • Die Cut – in terms of card making is  to cut out a piece of paper that is not a standard cut.
  • Digi Stamping – is a silly term I found and felt the need to include to describe printing an image on the paper rather than using an actual stamp. Also known as printing.
  • Distressing – is when you intentionally make old and worn out.
  • Embellishment – Anything you add to your card, it can be stickers, ribbon, flowers, glitter
  • Embossing – The image/pattern is raised up
  • Eyelet – Small metal pieces you can add using an eyelet setter. They look like hollow in the middle mushrooms that you press down.
  • Foil –  is affixed to a certain material by a heating process. Take an vector image and foil color of your choice put it though a laminator and peel the excess foil away. There even is a new brand out to DIY called Minc. The applicator is basically a laminator. Did I mention we carry this where I work at A.C.Moore and accept coupons, making it really cheap to make a fancy shine finish to a card.
  • Glitter – The herpes of the art world
  • Heat Embossing – This is were heat is applied to a quick melting powder to raise it up.
  • Light box – this one is is an obvious one. a box that creates light so you can trace an image.
  • Masking – Hiding the parts your don’t want covered with the medium of choice, such as paint.
  • Mountain fold– a fold that resembles a mountain. Sort of makes the letter A minus the line going across.
  • Origami – The art of paper folding without cutting the paper.
  • Quilling –  The use of taking long thin strips of paper and creating swirls and coils into images
  • Rub-ons – Are like stickers except you have to rub them on the paper.
  • Scoring – Making a groove into paper, usually to make it easier to fold
  • Scoring Board – A board with long straight grooves used to score paper and make cards. It is your best friend when card making or putting together 100 memorial programs together two nights before.
  • Stamping – putting ink on rubber embossed image to make a copy
  • Stencils – cut out images you trace around to copy
  • Stickers – images with a sticky bottom for quick application.
  • Valley fold – A fold that makes a V shape and resembles a valley.
  • Vellum – Semi translucent paper similar to parchment. in fact it derived from the Latin word “vitulinum” meaning “made from calf”. Paper Vellum is no longer made from a calf but plasticized cotton, so no worries to any animal loving artists.
  • Watermark– a mark left from an artist/design to mark an image as copyright. do not try to Photoshop watermarks but respect the artist.
  • Weaving – Taking fabric, ribbon, strips of paper, and other long materials over then under one another to create a woven effect.

There are more terms I am sure I could have listed. Meh.

A great glossary list of printing terms I found is http://www.printingforless.com/printingglossary.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s